Book Review: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom


"Every experience God gives us . . . is the perfect preparation for the future only He can see."--Corrie ten Boom
I've had this book on my reading list for a long time. Every now and then I would hear a recommendation for it from various sources. Once, I almost bought the book at the book store, then  remembering the tall stack of books on my night stand, I put the book back on the shelf.
Maybe if I had read the book then, it wouldn't have meant as much to me as it did when I recently took the time to read it.
This book is often viewed as a book of faith. From the publisher -
"Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!"
And while this is true, I saw the book more as a book of Dutch history and as a story of love in action - a book that challenges and inspires you.

The Hiding Place is set in Holland in the 1930-40s during WWII. (My favorite genre is historical ficition!) It is an autobiographical story of Corrie Ten Boom. In World War II she and her family risked their lives to help Jews and underground workers escape from the Nazis, and for their work they were tested in the infamous Nazi death camps.
One reviewer put his feeling about the book this way, "I felt like I had the opportunity to look through a window into something quite wonderful that left in me a feeling of awe."
Here are two quotes from the book that really inspired me:
"And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness anymore than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself."
"There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still."
I highly suggest you put this book on the top of your reading list. Though the subject of WWII Nazi era can be horrific, the book will leave you with a feeling of increased faith, love, and inspiration!

If you've read the book - comment on your favorite part of the book.

No comments