Two Kitchen Items EVERY Whole Foods Chef Must Have!

Recently Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist recently published a blog post entitled 16 Things Your Kitchen Can Do Without written by guest bloggers John and Dana Shultz of Minimalist Baker.

While overall his article is right-on, I have a strong disagreement with two of the items he mentions as not being very useful in a kitchen, especially in the kitchen of a minimalist. You can read the article yourself and see if you agree with me.

Did you guess which two I use almost every day??

A Crock Pot and a Rice Cooker.

My guess is that this young couple is mainly cooking for themselves and have no children for whom they must feed and take to music class/soccer practice/4H events on a regular basis. Otherwise they would know the saving grace of a crock pot and a rice cooker.

 (The fact that he lists 8 plates/glasses/bowls as being plenty and that they keep their knives in the silverware drawer lends support to the thought that they don't have a family too.)

If you want to avoid fast food dinners and eat a whole foods diet even on music lesson nights, a crock pot is your answer! I regularly put dinner on in our slow cooker before we head out the door. When we return, the smell of a ready dinner greats us. Enough to warm your heart on those busy days!

To make a dinner go even farther - add in some rice. If you are trying to eat a whole foods diet, you will avoid the quick-cooking white rice and opt for the brown rice that takes a minimum of 45 minutes to cook. How is that going to happen? Plus you have to stay in the kitchen to make sure the rice doesn't over-boil while it's cooking. With a 2 year old, I don't stay in one room too long, so our rice WILL over boil, unless I use the rice cooker. I can even set it on a delay start and a keep warm setting so it is ready for us when we are ready to eat.

I'm not the only one who lives by her crock pot and rice cooker. The Humbled Homemaker recently wrote an article about all the different things you can cook in a rice cooker besides rice! A little while back she also had a guest contributor write about how important her rice cooker was as a kitchen tool.

Do a quick internet search for crock pot recipes and you won't be disappointed. Many can be found on the recipe section of my blog as well as on many, many other whole-food, simplicity, mothering, homemaking, or cooking blogs.

I won't be getting rid or my crock pot or rice cooker any time soon!


2 comments

  1. I agree. I do not have a rice cooker, but my crock pot is a lifesaver when I'm out in my gardens all day or in the barn. I also have a two year old, and you are right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one thinking that a crockpot is a necessity!

    ReplyDelete