The Minimalist Packs for a Ski Trip Part II




When traveling, John and I and each of the 5 kiddos packed one suitcase each with our personal clothes. We use suitcases that qualify as carry-ons on airlines - 21" or less. It helps keep you from over packing.

 I always pack diapers in the little guys suitcase not only so I don't have to go looking for all natural diapers in an unfamiliar town, but also so that we are guaranteed some extra suitcase space on the way home for souvenirs.

Once we got home from our recent ski trip to Colorado, I realized that I only wore about half of the clothes that I packed in my suitcase. Note to self - next time lay out clothes to pack, put half back in the closet and pack the other half.

What Do You Really Need?

When we travel usually stay at someone's house that we rent thru AirBnb or HomeAway or VRBO. Therefore, I can make sure we will have access to a washer and dryer. I find that we can pack less clothes if we are able to wash during the time we're there. Works wonders!

And yet, I still over pack!

What I actually wore on a 2 week trip

1. Underwear for 1/3 of the number of days your gone - you don't want to HAVE to wash the first few days of your vacation.

2. Pants for skiing and 2 warm ski tops.

3. One long underwear pants and 2 long underwear tops to go under your ski clothes.

4. Two outfits for going out  - with tops that will cross coordinate with bottoms.

5. PJs

6. 2 pairs of socks - for skiing - and one pair of tights for outfits.

7. One sweater that will coordinate with anything.

8. Winter boots. I brought a pair of flats but it was TOO cold to wear them.

I think that was it! And I packed a lot more because I tend to be a "What If" person - an over-packer!

I polled everyone in my family and they all admitted to the same thing - no one wore everything they had packed.

Maybe next trip we'll all share a suitcase with someone else. That would help achieve more minimalistic packing.

Any packing tips you want to add?

No comments