Honey Whole Wheat Bread in Minutes



If you've ever looked at the ingredient list of supposedly "healthy whole wheat" bread, you've noticed that there is a lot more in that loaf of bread then whole wheat.

My limit on packaged foods is 5 recognizable ingredients. Anymore than that, and it tends to be fairly processed.

It's hard to find a loaf of bread at the store that fits my parameter. And it's pretty hard to find store bought bread that beats the taste - or smell! - of homemade bread!

It's really not that hard to make healthy homemade bread. The hands on time is minimal if you have a heavy duty mixer. I love my Bosch!

Ingredients

Makes 2 loaves

3 cups warm water                 
5 TBL olive oil                        
1/2 cup honey                         
1 1/2 TBL yeast                       
8-9 cups of whole wheat flour  
1/2 tsp salt                              



First, I put my warm water, oil, honey and yeast in my mixer. If you'll measure out your oil in the measuring cup you plan to use to measure out the honey - and swirl it a bit - it'll keep the honey from sticking to your measuring cup. Turn the mixer on a minute to combine ingredients.


Add your flour and salt. Put 8 cups of flour in to begin with, and you can add the rest of the flour as needed.

This dough is too wet so I added 1/2 cup more flour at a time until the dough cleaned the sides and center of the bowl. Don't add any more flour after this or your bread will be dry.


Perfect!


I let my mixer mix the dough with a dough hook for 10 minutes. I have to set the timer or I'll forget it.


I let the dough rise for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.


Then I butter my pans and my hands. I divide the dough into 2 pieces. I roll each section of dough into itself, creating a log and put it into a pan.


I set my oven on the lowest temperature it will go - 170F. I let my bread rise for 30 minutes again - this time in the oven. I have found that if I let it rise on the counter top I have a habit of bumping it on the way into the oven to bake and it falls. This prevents that mishap.
Plus it rises much quicker in a warm oven.
When it's almost to the height that I want it, I turn the oven up to 350F and set the timer for 30 minutes. It will rise just a little bit more as the temperature rises before it starts to bake.



As it starts to brown, I put a piece of tin foil over the top of the loaves to keep them from burning.
Once they are finished baking, I let the loaves cool for a minute on the baking rack before taking them out of the pans.
If you leave the bread loaves in the pans to cool completely, you will have soggy bread!

Let the bread cool completely before slicing. If you slice warm bread, it will tend to gum up on you as the bread actually continues to bake a bit inside as it cools.

Note: I was a little distracted making this bread - cleaning, cooking, and baking for company coming this afternoon, plus overseeing homeschool work of 4 children and chasing a toddler out of the pantry! So, I accidently put too much yeast in the dough. That's why the bread is so tall. When I checked on the bread just a few minutes after putting it in the oven to rise, it was so tall, I was really afraid it was going to fall! It didn't! So Happy!!

I love these bread pans I use, as they make the bread the perfect width for sandwiches. When I ordered the pans, I ordered a lot of them! Let me know if you are interested in one. I think the cost was about $8 each.

I ordered so many because we made bread to sell at the time.

I also thought it would really save time to make 6 loaves of bread at a time - the number that will fit in my oven.

This is a mistake unless your family can eat 6 loaves in 2 days.

Homemade bread, without all the preservatives, will dry out quickly, even wrapped up well.

As quick and easy as this bread is to make, my family is much happier with me making fresh loaves every other day.

Enjoy!

4 comments

  1. Angela,
    I love your blog, I love your bread, I love your leaves, and I love your crochet projects.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks! I'm trying to increase my number of followers and page views, so please pass my blog on. I'm enjoying reading yours as well! Heard you had snow! It's been cold here too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These loaves look great! Would like to know where you got the pans from. They look the perfect size!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them online at http://pleasanthillgrain.com/nonstick-bread-pan-nonstick-bread-pan . When I bought them, I bought 40 because we were baking bread for a Farmer's Market at the time using a commercial kitchen. It was a little premature - not sure how I thought that we would be using all 40 pans at the same time! The majority of them are still new in the box! I will sell you as many as you want for $7 plus shipping. They are wonderful and make perfect loaf sizes for sandwiches. Let me know. This offer is good for anyone interested.

      Delete